Friday, August 30, 2013

Live to be Healthy Happy and Strong and you will stay that way

Before I start this post I must say that this is my opinion! I am not a nutritionist!

I have done a lot of thinking lately and I would like to share what I have discovered since, I think that a lot of us are in the same boat on this subject. I have been the type of person that has spent way to much time trying to be skinny. I am not a naturally small person(just ask my sisters). I have always had to work hard at staying in shape. I have set goals and given myself deadlines. Always striving to be a certain weight or size by a certain event. Constantly trying the newest and latest trend and diet. Only to hit the goal weight then watch it slowly go back up to where I began. I started to wonder why? Why waste so much time, energy and emotion on something that wasn't going to last? Why put my family through the emotional rollercoaster that I am constantly on while depriving myself and starving. Why spend so much time feeling like a failure simply becuase I ate the cookie (or 4 since we are being honest) Well enough is enough!

Over the last five years I have had the oppertunity to work in the fitness industry. I spent countless hours helping clients feel, look and be healthier people. I have cried with those struggling and I have jumped for joy with those who have met their goals. I learned something very important along the way. Thank goodness! Better late then never right?! Stop dieting, Stop living to be a certain pants size, stop living for the scale to show the perfect number and start living to be healthy!!!

Life is meant to be enjoyed! Moments are meant to be remembered and people are meant to feel good about themselves. How do we do this? It is very simple. Strive to be an overall healthy person. Eat food for fuel not for fun, exercise because it does a body good, drink water becuase your body needs to stay hydrated. If we try to be overall healthy people with overall healthy lifestyles the weight and pant size will take care of themselves.

With that said you can still enjoy the occasional treat. Just know that if you are going to eat chocolate cake tonight pass on it tomorrow. Add more fruits and veggies to each plate and eat breakfast! Eat to give your body the energy and strength it needs to get you through the day.

You do not need to run a marathon to be healthy. Exercise can be simple and fun! The key is to get up and move. You can go for a walk, take the stairs over the elevator, jump rope, hula hoop,ride a bike, go for a hike the list is never ending. One way we squeeze in a little more movement in our home is a family dance party before the kids go to bed each night. Not only is this a great way to get moving but it is a lot of fun and has given us some great quality family time. Be creative and have fun. Don't be afraid to mix up your exercise program. If you do not enjoy it find something you do!

Your body needs water so drink it! I could go on for hours on this subject but for now just put down the can of soda and pick up the glass of water! Your body will thank you for it!!

By simply making your overall health your priority and not your pants size you will find yourself healthier, happier and ,the fabulous bonus, thinner permanently! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment