Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Jetty 2 Jetty

The time has finally come for me to run an Ultra!!!! I have registered and trained and prepared for ultra's before only to have life get in the way, preventing from being at the starting line when the gun went off.

Running an ultra Marathon has been a goal of mine since I was a kid! I was five when my dad ran his first 24 hour run. Almost 30 years ago! At that time the runners spent the 24 hours running around a track . Their goal was to raise money for cancer. My siblings and I slept in a tent on the in field while my mom ran the crew for my dad. Oreos,Bananna chips, cheese burgers and Pepsi were always on hand for my dad to grab as he ran by. Friends came and cheered him on. A camera crew filmed the runners for a documentory they were making. I thought it was one of the most impressive things I had ever seen. I remember the runners getting tired toward the end ,my Dad was dehydrated and dragging. A boom box was brought out and blasted "The Eye of the Tiger" It was the pick me up all the weary runners needed to finish the final miles. To this day that song is still my go to energizer. This was just the beginning of Ultra running for my dad and at that young age I knew that I would follow in his shoes and do the same.

I will be 35 years old when March 15th rolls around and I finally line up the starting line of The Jetty 2 Jetty Ultra marathon/adventure race. 35 miles all on the beach! Nothing but waves, sand and a lot of sea shells. My husband Aaron and his brother Jordan will be my crew! I have 17 weeks to prepare!! Luckily for me I have been preparing for this for a long time and already have a good base. I am sooooo excited and can hardly wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment